The Dyknow Cloud Connector extension is designed for and supported on student Chromebook devices only.
Note: Dyknow’s Chromebook Cloud Connector Extension is not required on Administrator, Tech Coach, and Teacher devices.
For additional setup instructions, please reference our article on Chromebook Best Practices.
This document is a resource for Dyknow Administrators to understand how to:
- Confirm Student Chromebook Usage in Dyknow
- Install Chromebook Cloud Connector Extension with G Suite
- Install Chromebook Cloud Extension Manually
CONFIRM STUDENT CHROMEBOOK USAGE IN DYKNOW
Follow the steps below to confirm in Dyknow that students at your district use Chromebook devices.
1. Login to Dyknow as an Administrator and click the gear icon to access the Admin Settings.
2. Click the Cloud Connector tab.
3. Click Chromebook in the Choose all student device types section.
Note: The page will update and display Chromebook section.
4. Review the Chromebook section.
5. Continue to install the Chromebook Cloud Connector.
INSTALL CHROMEBOOK EXTENSION WITH G SUITE
The G Suite Admin Console is available for Chrome devices purchased directly from Google or a reseller. Dyknow recommends G Suite for managed deployments. For basic setup of this console, refer to Google's documentation or this 3rd party video.
Follow the steps below to install the Chromebook Cloud Connector extension onto students' Chromebook devices with G Suite.
1. Log into your Google Admin Console using an administrator account
2. Click Device Management.
3. Click Chrome Management.
4. Click User Settings.
5. Select the Organization that includes your students using Chromebook devices (e.g. student Chromebooks).
6. Locate the Apps and Extension section and click Force-installed Apps and Extensions.
7. Click Manage Force-installed Apps.
8. Search for the Dyknow Cloud extension, then click Add and Save.
9. Click Allowed Apps and Extensions.
10. Click Manage.
11. Select the Dyknow Cloud extension.
12. Click Save.
13. Log out after this push since this will force their devices to update extensions and login as a student.
14. Open Google Chrome browser and verify that the Dyknow icon is visible in the upper right-hand corner of the Chrome browser window.
NOTE: Google's default is for Chrome extensions to "travel" with student user credentials, so if a student who has DyKnow installed on a Chromebook uses his/her school credentials to sign into a different Chromebook (e.g. a loaner device), the Dyknow Cloud Connector extension will automatically be installed there, too.
If this is a concern, you can deactivate this through Google Admin > Apps > Additional Google Services > Settings for Google Chrome Sync, and/or restrict the use of Dyknow Cloud by Date/ Time or IP address.
INSTALL CHROMEBOOK EXTENSION MANUALLY
Follow the steps below to manually install the Chromebook Cloud Connector extension onto students' Chromebook devices.
1. Login to the Chromebook as an Administrator.
2. Click here to access the Dyknow Cloud extension in the Chrome Web Store.
3. Click the Add to Chrome button.
Note: The Add “Dyknow Cloud”? message will appear.
3. Click the Add Extension button to install the Dyknow Cloud extension.
Note: The DyKnow Cloud extension will begin downloading immediately and the Dyknow Cloud has been added to Chrome message will appear.
4. Verify the Dyknow icon is visible in the upper right-hand corner of the Chrome browser window.
Note: If the icon does not appear, please contact the Dyknow School Success Team for assistance.
5. Logout of the Chromebook device.
6. Continue to Configure Chromebook Device and User Settings.