Dyknow Blocking Plans enable Teachers to block or allow student device access to URLs or Applications. Blocking plans provide fantastic flexibility for Teachers who set different expectations about on- and off-task behavior by Class, by student, and by day.
Blocking Plans can be created before/after or during an active monitoring session.
This document is a resource for Dyknow Teachers to understand how to:
CREATE A BLOCKING PLAN
Watch this brief training video by clicking play on the image below, or follow the step-by-step instructions below to create a new Dyknow Blocking Plan.
1. Login to DyKnow.
2. Select Blocking Plans from the top toolbar.
3. Click Create New Plan; the Create Blocking Plan modal will appear.
4. Enter a name for your Blocking Plan in the Plan field.
5. Click to select the Blocking Plan Type; review Blocking Plan Type options below:
Option 1: Allow Only
Select the apps and/or URLs you WANT to allow your students to go to. All other programs and websites will be blocked except those you designate.
- During a test, Allow Only the website where the test is being given, and a browser for that website to launch.
- During direct instruction, Allow Only note taking tools, such as OneNote, Google Docs and Microsoft Word.
Option 2: Block Only
Selecting the apps or URLs you DON'T WANT your students to go to. All other programs and websites will be accessible except for the those you designate.
- During academic research, Block Only sites such as Wikipedia.
- During group work, Block Only music sites and apps such as Pandora, Spotify and iTunes.
6. Enter only the domain names (e.g. dyknow.com, espn.go.com) for the Websites you'd like to block/allow into the Websites field.
Note: Once you begin typing, Dyknow will suggest Website option(s) that other Teachers have used before; click the recommended option to add it to your Blocking Plan.
- If Dyknow does not suggest an option, check the spelling of your website. If the spelling is correct, click the purple Add Website button.
- If you block domain URLs (domain.com), it also blocks the subdomain URLs (subdomain.domain.com). If you block subdomain URLs, it does not block the main domain URL.
7. Enter the Applications you'd like to block/allow into the Applications field.
Note: Once you begin typing, Dyknow will suggest Application option(s) that other Teachers have used before; click the recommended option to add it to your Blocking Plan.
- If Dyknow does not suggest an option, check the spelling of your application. If the spelling is correct, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Our team will add the application to our catalog.
- Dyknow does not currently support URL allow/block in Firefox on student MacBooks/OSX. As an alternative, simply allow a supported browser like Safari or Chrome along with specific websites.
8. Click Save; your Blocking Plan will now be available for use during any of your Classes.
9. Continue to