Dyknow's Blocking Plan feature enables Dyknow Teachers to block or allow student device access to select websites and/or applications. Blocking plans provide fantastic flexibility for Teachers who set different expectations about on-task and off-task behavior by Class, by student, and by day.
Blocking Plans can be created before/after or during a monitoring session.
This document is a resource for Dyknow Teachers to understand how to:
CREATE A BLOCKING PLAN
Follow the steps below to create a new Dyknow Blocking Plan before or after a monitoring session.
1. Login to Dyknow.
2. Click the Blocking Plans tab; you will be redirected to the Blocking Plans page.
3. Click Create New Plan; the Create Blocking Plan modal will appear.
4. Enter a name for your Blocking Plan in the Plan field.
5. Click to select the Blocking Plan Type; review Blocking Plan Type options below:
Option 1: Allow Only
Select the websites and/or applications you WANT to allow your students to go to. All other programs and websites will be blocked, except those you designate.
- During a test, Allow Only the website where the test is being given, and a browser for that website to launch.
- During direct instruction, Allow Only note taking tools, such as OneNote, Google Docs, and Microsoft Word.
Option 2: Block Only
Selecting the websites and/or applications you DON'T WANT your students to go to. All other programs and websites will be accessible, except for the those you designate.
- During academic research, Block Only sites such as Wikipedia.
- During group work, Block Only music sites and apps such as Pandora, Spotify, and iTunes.
6. Enter the URLs for the websites and/or web pages you'd like to block/allow in the Websites field.
- If you're typing out the website URL, Dyknow will suggest options that other Teachers have used before. Click one of the recommended options to add it to your Blocking Plan. If Dyknow does not suggest an option, check the spelling of your website, then click the Add Website button.
- If you copy and paste a full URL (for a web page), click the Add Website button.
7. Enter the names of applications you'd like to block/allow into the Applications field; Dyknow will suggest Application option(s) that other Teachers have used before.
8. Click the recommended option to add it to your Blocking Plan.
- If Dyknow does not suggest an option, check the spelling of your application. If the spelling is correct, please email firstname.lastname@example.org so our School Success Team can add the application to our catalog.
- Dyknow does not currently support blocking in the Firefox web browser on student Mac devices. As an alternative, please allow a supported browser like Safari or Chrome.
- For more information on blocking websites/URLs, read the Blocking Applications section of our Blocking Plans Overview article.
9. Click Save; your Blocking Plan will now be available for use during any of your Classes.
10. Continue to
Note: A Blocking Plan must be enforced during a monitoring session in order to be active.