Dyknow Blocking Plans enable Teachers to block or allow Websites and/or Applications on student devices during active monitoring sessions. Blocking Plans provide a lot of flexibility for Teachers, empowering them to set their own expectations about on- and off-task behavior by Class, by student, and by day.
Blocking Plans can be created before/after or during an active monitoring session.
This document is a resource for Dyknow Teachers to understand how to:
ENFORCE A BLOCKING PLAN
1. Login to Dyknow and locate your My Classes dashboard.
2. Click Start Monitoring for any Class.
3. Click Modify Blocking.
4. Create a new Plan Name, or select a Plan you created ahead of time.
Allow Only Blocking Plans: Select the Applications and/or Websites you WANT to allow your students to go to; all other programs and Websites will be blocked, except those you designate.
- During a test, Allow Only the Website where the test is being given (e.g. testwebsite.com), and a web browser for that Website to launch (e.g. Web browsers, Google Chrome, etc).
- During direct instruction, Allow Only note-taking Websites and Applications, such as OneNote, Google Docs, and Microsoft Word.
Block Only Blocking Plans: Select the Applications and/or Websites you DON'T WANT your students to go to; all other programs and Websites will be accessible, except for the those you designate.
- During academic research, Block Only Websites such as Wikipedia (wikipedia.com).
- During group work, Block Only music Websites and Applications like Pandora, Spotify, and iTunes.
5. Select the time you'd like the Blocking Plan to expire or "release" the students in the End Time field.
Note: You will still need to click the End Monitoring button to end the Class. Review our Timed Blocking Plans article for more info.
6. To differentiate students into different plans, select the Turn on Segmented Blocking button.
7. Click Enforce.
Note: Students will be unable to reopen applications or access websites until the enforced Blocking Plan is modified or released.
Once your Allow Only Blocking Plan is enforced:
- Any applications that are open on the student's device but were not included in the Allow Only Blocking Plan will be hidden from view.
- Any website(s) that are open on the student's device but were not included in the Allow Only Blocking Plan will be redirected to blocked.dyknow.com.
Once your Block Only Blocking Plan is enforced:
- Applications that are open on the student's device and were included in the Block Only Blocking Plan will be hidden from their view.
- Website(s) that are open on the student's device and were included in the Block Only Blocking Plan will be redirected to blocked.dyknow.com.