DyKnow’s Import Manager feature enables DyKnow Administrators to review significant changes caused by SIS Data Imports to ensure school data remains accurate, whether the import is manual or automated.
DyKnow tracks significant changes in your DyKnow Data using algorithms that define acceptable Import Thresholds for change caused by SIS Data Imports (as compared to schools’ existing DyKnow data). When an Import Threshold has been reached or exceeded, this feature pauses a schools’ SIS Data Imports, sends a message to the DyKnow Administrator, and generates a data summary for the DyKnow Administrator to review.
The goal of this feature is to provide protection against accuracy issues that can impact teachers’ ability to monitor students.
This document is a resource for DyKnow Administrators to understand:
- How to Review DyKnow Import Results Email
- How to Identify SIS Data Import Errors in DyKnow
- How to Resolve DyKnow SIS Data Import Errors
- How to Approve Paused DyKnow SIS Data Imports
HOW TO REVIEW DYKNOW IMPORT RESULTS EMAIL
To prevent the upload of incorrect data (with changes meeting or exceeding Import Thresholds) from a SIS Data Import, a DyKnow Administrator must review the paused SIS Data Import and validate the identified changes.
Follow the steps below to learn how to review the Check Data and Import Results notification emails:
1. If your SIS Data Import has been paused due to significant changes that exceed Import Thresholds, you will receive a Check Data notification email in addition to the Import Results email.
A. Check Data Email
B. Import Results Email
Note: For example, when significant, the following data changes may require validation of your SIS Data Imports before processing:
- Start and end dates
- Teacher enrollments
- Usernames or emails
2. Read through the list of change quantities and percentages in the Import Results email. Take note of extreme change quantities/percentages as well as any changes that are not expected (and therefore may be inaccurate). All SIS Data Import errors and unexpected changes should be resolved.
Note: For example, compared to the data in DyKnow, two errors have been identified in the Enrollments - Teachers file (or 18% of the data in the Enrollments - Teachers file).
HOW TO IDENTIFY SIS DATA IMPORT ERRORS IN DYKNOW
Follow the steps below to learn how to identify SIS Data Import errors:
1. Click the gear icon in the DyKnow Web App.
2. Click the Import Manager tab and locate the Check Your Data section.
The Check Your Data section lists the SIS Data Imports to be imported and quantifies the data additions, updates, and errors associated with each data file.
Data File Options:
- Schools: References the Schools data file
- Users: References the Users data file; can include teachers, students, and other users, depending on your SIS data
- Classes: References the unique identifier used by DyKnow to properly sync SIS class data
- Enrollments: Teachers: References the Enrollments data file
- Enrollments: Students: References the Enrollments data file
Data File Change Options:
- Added: The number of fields added to a data file since the previous import
- Updated: The number of fields updated within a data file since the previous import
- Deleted: The number of fields deleted within a data file since the previous import
- Errored: The number of fields errored within a data file since the previous import
Import Threshold Options:
- 0% – 100%: The percentage of data change within a file, on a scale from 0% to 100%
- Never Check: The omission of an Import Threshold for a data file
3. To view the specific reasons that your SIS Data Imports exceeded Import Thresholds, click their respective Errored [View] hyperlinks for more details.
An Errored pop-up window will appear, like the one below, listing the Error Reasons identified in the SIS Data Import(s) and each Error Reason’s associated Error Count.
4. To view the list of Records for each Error Reason identified within your data, click the blue Error Count hyperlinks from the Errored pop-up window. The Errored pop-up window will expand, similar to the examples below, detailing the specific error instances.
A. SIS Data File Import – The list of error Records for manually imported data files reflects the unique Error Reason as well as each error’s Value and Line Number location within the file.
B. SIS Data Integration – The list of error Records for automatically imported data files reflects the unique Error Reason as well as each error’s Value and PowerSchool/Skyward Identifier.
Note: Common DyKnow SIS Data Import File Error Reasons include:
- Users Updated can reference name and email changes due to marriage, blank and incorrect cells, graduated students, or new SIS IDs.
- SIS ID Used For Multiple Users can reference multiple users with the same SIS ID (identifiers are required to be unique across all DyKnow schools).
- SIS ID Used For Multiple Classes can reference multiple classes that have the same SIS ID.
- Unexpected Column Change can reference extraneous data columns created because of an unnecessary comma included within SIS data values (e.g. “Doe,John”).
HOW TO RESOLVE DYKNOW SIS DATA IMPORT ERRORS
If you did not expect the changes in your DyKnow SIS Data Import Files to exceed Import Thresholds, or if you don’t approve of the changes identified, you must resolve the errors before you can approve your SIS Data Imports for processing into DyKnow.
Follow the steps below to resolve the errors within your DyKnow SIS Data Import Files that exceed pre-determined Import Thresholds:
1. From the DyKnow Import Manager, take note of the SIS Data Imports names that contain errors exceeding Import Thresholds. Then locate and open those SIS Data Imports on your computer/network, or login to your SIS as an Administrator, to edit the necessary data.
2. Using the error Records as a guide, locate and replace the specific errors with values that match the DyKnow SIS Data Import File Requirements. Save your edits.
3. In the DyKnow Import Manager, click the Cancel Import button.
Note: Once you click the Cancel Import button, you can no longer access the Error Reasons, Records, etc. in the Check Your Data section. Clicking the Cancel Import button does not update Import Thresholds.
4. Repeat the following steps:
- For manual imports: Upload DyKnow SIS Data Import Files to FTP Folder
- For automated imports: Mange PowerSchool Integration or Manage Skyward Integration
HOW TO APPROVE PAUSED DYKNOW SIS DATA IMPORTS
If you did expect the changes in your DyKnow SIS Data Import Files to exceed Import Thresholds, you must approve your SIS Data Imports for processing into DyKnow. Processing SIS Data Imports that exceed Import Thresholds may have a negative impact on teachers’ classrooms (e.g. mis-assigned students and classes). However, you can import data files regardless of any identified additions, updates, and errors.
Follow the steps below to approve DyKnow SIS Data Import Files for processing in DyKnow Cloud:
1. To approve your DyKnow SIS Data Import Files for processing, click the Import Data button for manual imports, or the Process Import button for automated imports.
Note: Import Thresholds can fluctuate based on the error percentage you allow for processing. If you choose to process SIS Data Imports with errors exceeding Import Thresholds, the associated Import Thresholds for those values will increase.
2. During summer and back to school seasons, you may also be asked to Select Academic Year. If so, click the appropriate button from the Select Academic Year pop-up window.
3. Once your SIS Data Imports have completed processing, you will receive an Import Results confirmation email like the one below.